This is adapted from Hazel Demarco’s Bean & Lamb Shank Soup.
- 1 lb. dried lima beans (~2 cups)
- 1 lb. lamb meat for stewing
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 3/4 c. finely chopped onion
- 3/4 c. finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 c. finely chopped celery (or omit/ replace it out of season)
- Soak beans overnight.
- In soup pot, brown lamb on all sides and pour off any fat.
- Drain and rinse beans, and add to lamb with garlic, broth and water.
- Cook partially covered, around 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetables and salt and cook another 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lamb pieces, cut into smaller pieces, and return to soup.
- Swirl in 2 Tbs. butter and serve.
Yields 6 servings.
NOTE: Can also use a lamb shank, cutting the meat off the bone in the final step. It may be cheaper and add flavor/ nutrients but it’s more work.