This is from Fresh From the Garden Cookbook by Ann Lovejoy. It is well-liked by children, a nice balance of colors, and a good potluck item. It stores well in the fridge for a few days.
- 3 crisp eating apples, peeled, cored & diced (I don't peel mine)
- Juice of one organic lemon
- 1 and 1/2 cups diced cooked beets
- 1 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1 bunch flat Italian parsley, stemmed
- grated zest of half to one organic lemon
- 2 Tbs. wine vinegar (I like white or apple cider)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
In a jar, combine lemon zest, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Cover tightly, shake well to emulsify, and set aside.
Prepare salad:In a serving bowl toss the apples gently with the lemon juice. Add the beets and walnuts, toss again with the dressing, and serve garnished with parsley.