2 rutabaga (about 2lbs), peeled, cut into 2 - inch dice
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
butter for greasing baking dish
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, beaten
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bread crumbs (or more for topping)
1 Tblsp. maple syrup
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup raisins, plumped in hot water for 15 min and drained (optional)
freshly ground black pepper
2 Tblsp. butter
1. bring a large pot of water to boil, add rutabaga and 1 tsp salt, cook till very soft (30 min.), reserve 1/2 cup cooking water.
2. preheat oven to 350, coat 2 qt. baking dish with butter (Alder's favorite job!)
3. beat eggs and egg yolk in med. bowl, stir in cream, maple syrup, bread crumbs and nutmeg.
4. drain rutabaga reserving 1/2 cup water, mash thoroughly adding water if dry. add egg mixture, raisins, 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper. stir to combine.
5. transfer the rutabaga pudding to the prepared baking dish. smooth the top and dot with butter. (I sprinkled extra bread crumbs on the top, too)
6. bake til golden, about 45 min. serve hot.